Xiaomi Mi 2/2S was a flagship device of Chinese company well known for its budget-friendly price smartphones. Xiaomi Mi 2/2S was released in 2013, April was powered by Snapdragon S4 Pro with 2 Gigs of RAM, 16/32 GB of storage options and an 8 MP rear camera. It is powered by Android 4.1 jelly bean out of the box running under Xiaomi’s MIUI later can be upgraded to Android 4.4.4 KitKat. Considering the device is launched in 2013, it will not receive Android Oreo update. But this is obviously not a full specification sheet but this is enough to prove that this device is indeed a flagship with cheaper price. In this guide, we’ll let you know that How To Install TWRP and Root Xiaomi Mi 2/2S.
The TeamWin Recovery project or we can simply call it as TWRP Recovery software, which allows us to install Custom ROMs, MODs on Android device. Most of the people prefer TWRP recovery just because of the touch-based user interface which helps the user to easily install Custom ROMs, MODs. Earlier TWRP Recovery used to support only Google Nexus devices, but now it is available for wide range of Android devices. TWRP Recovery supports various customizations such as gaining root access on Android, making a Nandroid backup, removing bloatware, installing a custom kernel, etc.
This whole process is simple and easy which can be completed within 10-15 min. We have already stated that the most preferred use of the TWRP recovery is that you can root your device or flash custom ROMs on your device. Now follow the below step by step guide to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Xiaomi Mi 2/2S.
- This guide only for Xiaomi Mi 2/2S.
- Take a full backup before proceeding further.
How to Backup your Android Device Without Root
- Unlock Bootloader.
How to Unlock bootloader of any Xiaomi Device
- Install USB Drivers.
Download Android USB Drivers for Windows
- Maintain more than 50% – 60% battery to prevent the sudden shutdown.
Download and Install ADB and Fastboot Drivers
TWRP Recovery for Xiaomi Mi 2/2S
Latest Magisk ZIP | Magisk APK
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Xiaomi Mi 2/2S
Install TWRP Recovery
- First Unlock Bootloader on your device.
- Download and Install ADB and Fastboot drivers.
- Now, download TWRP recovery img for Xiaomi Mi 2/2S.
- Rename the downloaded img file to “TWRP” and transfer the file to your device.
- Enable USB Debugging on Android Smartphones
- Go to the ADB folder on your PC and then press “Shift key + Right mouse key” and click on the “Open command window here.”
- Now connect your Xiaomi Mi 2/2S to the PC using a USB data cable.
- Open the ADB folder and launch the Command prompt window there. (shift + right click anywhere empty space within that folder and click on open command prompt here).
- Power off your device and boot your device into fastboot mode. To do this, press and hold Volume up + Power at the same time to boot into fastboot mode.OR You can execute the following command to boot into fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now connect your device to your PC via USB cable and execute the following command. (This command will confirm that your device is connected to PC).
- If your device is successfully connected, execute the following command to flash TWRP Recovery.
fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img
To Bypass your device encryption, you have to format user data.
fastboot format userdata
That’s all! You have installed TWRP Recovery on your Xiaomi Mi 2/2S. You can verify it by long pressing “Volume down + power” buttons to boot into recovery mode.
Root Xiaomi Mi 2/2S via TWRP Recovery
- Download SuperSU or Magisk Zip and transfer file to your device
- Reboot your device into TWRP Recovery.
- Turn off your device.
- Press and hold “Volume down + Power “ buttons to boot into TWRP Recovery.
- Go to TWRP main menu, Click on the Wipe and swipe to factory reset.
- Navigate to the main menu in TWRP, click on install and select the SuperSU or Magisk zip file
- After selecting the Magisk or SuperSU zip file, do swipe to confirm flash to begin the installation process.
- After the installation process completes successfully, check the Wipe cache/Dalvik option, click on it and Swipe to wipe.
- Now reboot your device from the main menu.
Hope you have successfully installed TWRP recovery and Rooted Xiaomi Mi 2/2S.