Today we are going to share a detailed guide on how to install Moto G5s Android Oreo 8.1 Update manually. We’ll use two methods, 1#Fastboot method and 2# is TWRP flashable zip. Motorola is gradually rolling out the Oreo firmware updates for its smartphones and recently Moto G5S Plus being added to the list of supported devices. Currently, this latest firmware update is available for Latin America and there is no news from the company that when the update will be available for the rest of the regions.
But if you can’t wait then you can still install Moto G5s Android Oreo 8.1 Update manually on your device by following the given guidelines. All credit goes to our beloved XDA community and senior member Kamin4ri for capturing the OTA and created a TWRP flashable ZIP for users with a custom ROM/root/TWRP installed. Also, he has shared the official Android 8.1 Oreo fastboot image link to download. The new build number is OPP28.65-37.
Before proceeding to install Moto G5s Android Oreo 8.1 Update, take a quick look at the new features of this firmware update. The latest Moto G5S firmware is based on Android 8.1 Oreo that also comes with all the changes from version 8.0. So you can taste a lot of new features after updating your Moto G5S. This update brings Picture-in-Picture mode, Autofill Framework, Notification Dots, App Categories, improved background limits, WallpaperColors API as well as August 2018 security patches.
As we have already mentioned that the update is currently available via OTA for the Latin Americas. If you are from the same region then check for the OTA notification by navigating to the ‘Settings’ -> ‘About phone’ -> ‘System updates’. But if you are from some other region then follow the given guide to install Moto G5s Android Oreo 8.1 Update manually.
The firmware update file given in guide is working with the following variants of Moto G5S models/variants:
- Create a complete backup of all your important data before proceeding to the installation guide.
- We also have a detailed guide on how to completely backup Android phones.
- Make sure that the battery level of your phone is about 70 to 80% before going ahead to prevent unexpected shutdowns while installation.
- Install Android platform tools on your computer PC. We’d refer to “C:\adb” in the steps below, which is the folder where the ADB and Fastboot binaries are present if you have followed our tutorial. Also, you can use the Minimal ADB and Fastboot tool.
Download Moto G5S Android 8.1 Oreo Firmware
TWRP Flashable zip: twrp-flashable-montana-OPP28.65-37.zip
How to Install Moto G5s Android Oreo 8.1 Update
This first method (Flash Fastboot Image) will take you through the process of flashing the official fastboot image. Please keep in mind that this method will update the phone’s bootloader and partition table also.
Method 1: Using Flash Fastboot Image
1. First of all, download Moto G5S Android 8.1 Oreo fastboot image on your computer from the above link.
2. Now, extract the downloaded file and move its content to C:\adb, where the ADB and Fastboot binaries are present.
3. Navigate to C:\adb on your computer.
4. Hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder. Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’.
6. Turn OFF the phone and boot it into Fastboot Mode.
7. To boot into Fastboot Mode, hold the Volume Down + Power button at the same time while the phone is powered OFF.
8. Connect the Moto G5S to the computer using its USB data cable.
9. Now, enter the following commands in the given order to install Moto G5s Android Oreo 8.1 Update:
fastboot oem fb_mode_set fastboot flash partition gpt.bin fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img fastboot flash boot boot.img fastboot flash recovery recovery.img fastboot flash dsp adspso.bin fastboot flash logo logo.bin fastboot flash oem oem.img fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0 fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1 fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2 fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3 fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4 fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5 fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6 fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.7 fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.8 fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.9 fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin fastboot erase modemst1 fastboot erase modemst2 fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn fastboot erase cache fastboot erase userdata fastboot erase DDR fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
10. Once finished, reboot your phone using this command:
After rebooting your phone, follow the on-screen instructions and complete the Setup Wizard.
Method 2: Via Install TWRP Flashable Zip
The following second method (Install TWRP Flashable Zip) is very easy to install Moto G5S Android 8.1 Oreo update if have a rooted phone or running on a custom ROM.
1. First, download Moto G5S Android 8.1 Oreo TWRP flashable zip from the above link.
2. Connect your device to the computer and enable ‘Transfer Files’ mode.
3. Transfer the downloaded zip file to the phone’s storage.
4. Now, disconnect your phone and turn it OFF.
5. Hold the Volume Down + Power button at the same time to boot your Moto G5S into Bootloader Mode.
6. While your phone is now in Bootloader Mode, tap either of the Volume keys until ‘Recovery’ shows up on the screen.
7. Next, press the Power button to enter into TWRP Recovery.
Note: If your phone is running on a custom ROM then you will need to perform a wipe.
Go to ‘Wipe’ -> ‘Advanced Wipe’ and select the ‘Cache’, ‘Dalvik/ART Cache’, System, and Data.
Swipe the ‘Swipe to wipe’ button for confirmation.
8. Tap on the ‘Install’ button and select the ‘twrp-flashable-montana-OPP28.65-37.zip‘ file.
9. Finally, swipe the button on the screen to start the flashing process and install Moto G5S Android 8.1 Oreo update.
10. Flash the latest Magisk installer zip file if you want to keep TWRP.
11. Navigate to ‘Reboot’ and tap on ‘System’ to boot your Moto G5S into the OS.
Once the process completes, follow the on-screen instructions and set it up.
Done! Your Moto G5S should run on Android 8.1 Oreo with all the latest features and August security patches.
Let us know in the comments area below if you have any questions or trouble while updating your Moto G5S.