Google has finally begun rolling out the latest software known as Android 8.1 Oreo for the Google Pixel devices. Google Pixel owners will be happy to know that they can update their phones now to the latest Android 8.1 Oreo OS officially. The Android 8.1 Oreo brings many new features, fading navigation buttons, new Google Search bar at the bottom of the home screen, improved Power Menu just like the Pixel 2, translucent Notification Quick Settings just above the navigation bar, Wallpaper-based themes, finer and less noticeable touches from the Pixel 2 and much more. The Android 8.1.0 official updates are being rolled out to all the Pixel devices via OTA (Over-the-Air), which means that not all users can get this OTA update at the same time. If you have not received the OTA notification of new software and you are excited to flash it and test the sweetness of Oreo then still you can install Android 8.1.0 Oreo update manually by following this simple step by step guide.
The Android 8.1 includes various visual changes and customizations like revamped reboot menu, improved Ambient Display, tinted shadows in notification and power menu and so on. Also, the update includes many bug fixes, stable and smoothly run on your device. Not necessary but it is better to take the full backup of all your valuable data. If you are interested in installing Android 8.1.0 Oreo OTA official update on your Google Pixel devices then go ahead and follow the given steps.
Please note that the official update in this guide is working only with Google Pixel devices. Do not try to install it on any other device or incorrect variants. Verify the model number of your phone first.
AndroidBlog will not be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data files. Proceed at your own risk.
- Make a proper backup of your existing data.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- Also, enable the OEM Unlock option.
- The bootloader should be unlocked.
- The battery level of your Nexus 5 should be at least about 60 to 70% to avoid unexpected shutdowns.
SETUP Android ADB and Fastboot Drivers (Platform-Tools) on PC:
Download the Platform-Tools and ADB drivers setup as these drivers will allow you to connect your phone with PC as without these drivers, it’s not possible to install the Android 8.0.1 Oreo official update.
- Download the Platform-tools zip using the following links below:
– for Windows computers click here. [Mirror] – for Mac OS click here. [Mirror] – for Linux click here. [Mirror]
- Simply, unzip the downloaded files from the above links and save the Platform-tools directory on the desktop of your PC.
- Leave the newly created directory or folder open.
- Download and install the Google USB Drivers on your PC.
Steps to Install Android 8.0.1 Oreo Official Update for Pixel:
Step 1: First, download Android 8.0.1 official update from this link.
Step 2: Now, unzip the downloaded Android 8.1 official update files and copy/paste them all to Platform-Tools. Please do not extract the files any further.
Step 3: Power off the Google Pixel.
Step 4: Boot the Google Pixel in Bootloader Mode.
- Turn off your Google Pixel completely.
- Press and hold Volume Down+Power buttons at the same time.
- Release the buttons when the Fastboot Mode menu loads.
- The main Fastboot Mode options will appear and you can apply any action you need to.
Step 5: Navigate to Platform-Tools directory and open a Command Prompt within the folder.
Step 6: Connect the Google Pixel with your PC using its USB data cable. If your drivers are correctly installed then your phone will be detected by the computer.
Step 7: You will need to unlock the bootloader and then type the given command in the command prompt.
fastboot flashing unlock
Step 8: Go to Platform-Tools directory once again and find the Flash-all.bat script. Launch it.
Step 9: Begin the process to flash-all.bat Android 8.0.1 flashing. Wait for the installation to be successfully finished.
Step 10: Once the installation is finished, you will see a confirmation message.
Step 11: Finally, unplug your phone from PC and boot it in normal mode. Your device might take about 4 to 5 minutes while booting for the first time after installation.
Done! You have successfully installed Android 8.0.1 Oreo official update on Google Pixel.
Let us know in the comments area below if you have any issues or question regarding the above guide.