Here’s some good news for the Galaxy S3 I9300 owners that a new build of CrDroid ROM featuring Android 5.1.1 Lollipop is available for their handsets (international variants). This CrDroid ROM is based on the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop which brings improved performance and reliability. Galaxy S3 is one of the old Samsung’s flagships that might not receive Android OS version updates any more from the company but thanks to the custom ROMs developers for providing the amazing custom ROMs featuring the latest Google’s mobile OS. This custom ROM comes with customized features over stock Android update and all CyanogenMod features.
If you are interested to customize CrDroid ROM on your Galaxy S3, then go ahead and follow the given step-by-step guide. Keep in mind that this is a custom ROM which is developed by the 3rd party developers, not officially released by Samsung. Thus you’ll need a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP in order to install the ROM and Google Apps zipped files on the S3 I9300.
Before proceeding to the installation guide check out the basic features of CrDroid ROM:
CrDRoid ROM Features:
- Volume panel timeout
- Slim recents panel
- Clear recents location
- Heads up customization
- Quick access button on expanded status bar
- Swipe behavior
- Touch outside behavior
- Time out
- Do not disturb
- SlimRoms custom lockscreen shortcuts
- Navbar on/off
- Hardware keys on/off (in devices supported)
- Power menu in navring targets
- SlimPie controls with all working
- Sound panel option on power menu
- Superuser indicator (notification, statusbar icon or no indicator)
- Force expanded notifications on expanded statusbar
- Power menu and notifications tiles
- Four tiles per row
- Vibrate on tiles touch
- Disable quick settings on secure lockscreen
- Kill app back button configurable timeout
- Ambient display as active display from OmniRom
- IME advanced settings
- SELinux switch
The crDroid ROM given in the guide is only working with Galaxy S3 I9300. Do not try to flash this ROM on any incorrect variant, as a result your device might get bricked. You can check the device’s model by going to Settings > About phone > Model number.
AndroidBlog will not be held responsible for any kind of damage or mishap occurred to your Galaxy S3 while installing crDroid custom ROM based on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. Proceed at your own risk.
- Take a proper backup of all your important data before proceeding to installation guide via custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP recovery. In case anything goes wrong then you’ll be able to restore the data on your phone.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on your Galaxy S3 I9300 by navigating to Settings > Developer Options and check USB Debugging option.
- Note: Please note that if the “Developer Options” is not available in Settings, then go to “About Phone” options in Settings and find the Build number there. Tap on the Build number for 7 times and the Developer Options will be appeared.
- Verify the battery level of your Galaxy S3 I9300, it should be above 80% before proceeding to the installation instructions.
- Download and install Samsung USB Drivers for Galaxy S3 I9300 on the PC.
- Your Galaxy Galaxy S3 I9300 should be rooted.
- The device have a custom recovery (CWM/TWRP) already installed.
Steps to Update Galaxy S3 to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop with CrDroid ROM:
1:- First, download the Android 5.1.1 crDroid custom ROM (crdroid-5.1.1-20150702-i9300.zip) and Google Apps package from the above links on the desktop of your PC.
2:- Now plug your Galaxy S3 to PC using its USB data cable and mount the Memory Storage of the phone.
3:- Copy the Android 5.1.1 crDroid ROM .zip file to the root folder of your SD Card on the phone.
4:- Disconnect the device from the PC and turn it off in order to boot into Recovery Mode.
5:- Turn on the phone by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power keys at the same time for a few seconds.
6:- While your device is now recovery mode, perform a full data wipe by selecting wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache.
Note:- Wipe Dalvik Cache will help you to prevent boot loops and issues related to ROM while installation.
7:- Next, navigate to the main menu of Recovery and choose install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard. Find the ROM .zip file that you’ve already transferred to the SD Card of your phone in Step No 3. Just select it and confirm the installation of crDroid ROM file to begin.
8:- Once the ROM installation is finished, install the Google Apps package by repeating the above procedure on your Galaxy S3.
9:- After flashing the ROM and Gapps .zip files on the phone successfully, reboot it by selecting reboot system now.
Your device may take some time to boot for the first time after the installation. So be patient and wait for the process to be completed.
Done! You’ve successfully installed the Android 5.1.1 crDroid ROM on Galaxy S3.
Let us know in the comments section below if you have any trouble or query while flashing crDroid custom ROM based on Android 5.1.1 on your Galaxy S3 I9300.