In this guide, we will show you how to use Focus mode on Android. The Focus mode on Android devices is a digital wellbeing tool. Digital wellbeing tools are now considered to be important features of present day smartphones.
The purpose of these features is to reduce the excess use of smartphones and limit screen time, aiming towards better and healthier usage habits. As we mentioned, the Focus mode is one of these tools and in this guide here we will show you how to use it on your Android device.
A similar feature is also present in iOS devices, and that feature is also called the Focus mode. The Focus mode on Android devices and iOS devices both, is somewhat similar to the Do not disturb mode, but the functionality of the feature varies slightly according to the Android device you have.
Here we will be discussing the Focus mode on Android devices for Google Pixel and for Samsung Galaxy devices.
What is Focus Mode on Android?
As the name suggests, the Focus mode on Android is a feature that lets users focus better. It is done by reducing distractions and as we mentioned before, is very similar to the Do not disturb mode but is more efficient and easier to use.
Most of the users have set Do not disturb mode to be activated as per schedule, but Focus mode needs to be activated manually when you think that you need to focus better on some work you are doing.
The simple functionality of this tool is that you need to select some apps and when you activate Focus mode on Android, you will not be able to use those apps or get any notifications from them. This way you can easily block apps that you think will cause a distraction for you.
How to Setup Focus Mode on Google Pixel phones
The Focus mode on Android is similar to what we see with Stock Android. Focus mode on Android devices other than Samsung will be similar to this as well. Follow the steps given below to set up Focus mode on Pixel phones:
- First of all open up the Settings app on your phone.
- Now scroll down the menu and then tap on Digital Wellbeing & parental controls.
- After that, tap on Focus mode.
- Now you will first have to select which apps you want to be included in the Distracting apps list.
- Once done, you can also set a schedule for Focus mode if you want. Focus mode will automatically be switched on or off according to the time you have set.
- Normally, you would have to open up the Focus mode section inside the Settings app to turn it on. This can be time consuming, so it would be better if you turn it on and off directly from the Quick settings tiles. Scroll down from the top twice and then tap on the pencil option to edit the Quick settings tile.
- From the list of Settings, scroll down to the Focus mode tile and then drag and drop it into the top section. This option will now be available in the Quick settings tiles.
- Once the option is available in the Quick settings tile, you can easily turn it on or off. When it is on, you can scroll down the notifications panel and tap on Take a break to pause the Focus mode for a few minutes.
Setup Focus Mode on Samsung Galaxy Phones
Focus mode on Samsung Galaxy phones is a bit different from Focus mode on other Android devices. As we you saw above, you normally have to select apps that you want to block with Focus mode. But on Samsung, you will have to select the apps which you want to allow to be used. Follow the steps below:
- First of all, open up the Settings app on your Samsung device.
- Scroll down the menu and tap on Digital Wellbeing & parental controls.
- There will be some modes in already present under Focus mode. You can either edit those modes and use them or create a new mode.
- If you are creating a new mode, then you will have to give it a name as well.
- By default, some of the important applications will be allowed under the Focus mode. You can allow more apps by tapping on edit.
- Select any apps that you want to allow in the Focus mode and then tap on done.
- You can tap on Duration and set the time length you want the Focus mode to be turned on for. After the time periods ends, the Focus mode is automatically turned off.
- Again, you will have to turn on Focus mode from the Digital Wellbeing & parental control menu from the Settings app, unless you have the option in your Quick settings options.
- You can have the option in your Quick settings tiles by swiping down from the top of your screen twice. Then swipe right and tap on the ‘+’ option.
- Now select the Focus mode option and then drag and drop it to the quick settings tile. Then tap on Done.
- Now you can activate Focus mode by tapping on the button and from there you can also choose which focus mode you want to use.
- Similarly you can also turn it off by tapping on the same button. After the Focus mode has been turned off, you will be shown all the notifications that were blocked when the mode was on.
So that was it from our side on how to use Focus mode on Android devices. We hope that you found this guide helpful. Let us know what you think in the comment section below.