An amazing custom ROM featuring Android 5.1.1 Lollipop with build LMY48G has been developed by naeroki-bi (XDA forum member) for the Galaxy S3 I9300. This ROM is based on CyanogenMod 12 and many features have been taken from Xperia Z3 so the ROM is known as Android 5.1.1 Xperia Z3 custom ROM which can be installed now on the S3 I9300 to experience the latest Android OS version. By installing this Xperia Z3 ROM on your device, you can get Sony’s bootanimation, Gallery, Camera and the new Xperia Z4 theme. As the Android 5.1.1 Xperia Z3 ROM is in development stage, bugs are highly likely.
Ready to get Android 5.1.1 Xperia Z3 on your S3? Go ahead and proceed to the installation guide to install the Xperia Z3 ROM. Checkout the basic features and changes given below:
- ROM OS version: 5.1.x Lollipop
- ROM firmware required: 4.3+
- Based on: Cyanogenmod 12.1
- Status: Beta
- Current beta: V2
- Release date: 13 July
- CyanogenMod 12 features
- CyanogenMod 12 optimisations
- Sony bootanimation
- All Sony (f.e Gallery, Camera)
- New Z4 theme (Choose manual in theme)
Changelog Beta v2:
- Some app from Bkav Bphone
- Increased earpiece volume slightly, as it was barely heard outdoor
- Fixed SELinux derps introduced in B10 (sysfs denials)
- Fixed more SELinux denials related to recently changed parts (open-source sensors & bluetooth)
- KERNEL: Fixed dm-crypt not accepting discard requests which resulted in failed encryption (CM10.2 regression)
- Updated sources
- Fixed (compass) and reintroduced open-source sensors
- Misc SELinux updates
- Misc hwcomposer fixes and improvements
- Updated sources
- Android 5.1.1 revision 6 (LMY48G)
This guide containing the Android 5.1.1 Xperia Z3 custom ROM and instructions can be used with the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. Do not try to install this firmware on any other device or incorrect variant. As a result the device might be damaged. Checkout the model number of your device first.
AndroidBlog will not be held responsible for any kind of damage occurred to your Galaxy S3 during or after the installation of Android 5.1.1 Xperia Z3 custom ROM. Proceed at your own risk.
- Take a proper backup of all your important data before proceeding to installation guide via custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP recovery. In case anything goes wrong then you’ll be able to restore the data on your phone.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on your Galaxy S3 I9300 by navigating to Settings > Developer Options and check USB Debugging option.
- Note: Please note that if the “Developer Options” is not available in Settings, then go to “About Phone” options in Settings and find the Build number there. Tap on the Build number for 7 times and the Developer Options will be appeared.
- Verify the battery level of your Galaxy S3 I9300, it should be above 80% before proceeding to the installation instructions.
- Download and install Samsung USB Drivers for Galaxy S3 I9300 on the PC.
- Your Galaxy Galaxy S3 I9300 should be rooted.
- The device have a custom recovery (CWM/TWRP) already installed.
- Download Xperia Z3 Android 5.1.1 ROM
- Download Google Apps
Steps to Install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Xperia Z3 ROM on Galaxy S3:
1:- First, download the Android 5.1.1 Xperia Z3 custom ROM (SONY Z3 for I9300 V2.zip) and Google Apps package from the above links on the desktop of your PC.
2:- Now plug your Galaxy S3 to PC using its USB data cable and mount the Memory Storage of the phone.
3:- Copy the Android 5.1.1 Xperia Z3 ROM .zip file (without extracting) to the root folder of your SD Card on the phone.
4:- Disconnect the device from the PC and turn it off in order to boot into Recovery Mode.
5:- Turn on the phone by pressing and holding Home + Volume Up + Power keys at the same time for a few seconds.
6:- While your device is now recovery mode, perform a full data wipe by selecting wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache.
Note:- Wipe Dalvik Cache will help you to prevent boot loops and issues related to ROM while installation.
7:- Next, navigate to the main menu of Recovery and choose install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard. Find the ROM .zip file that you’ve already transferred to the SD Card of your phone in Step No 3. Just select it and confirm the installation of Xperia Z3 ROM file to begin.
8:- Once the ROM installation is finished, install the Google Apps package by repeating the above procedure on your Galaxy S3.
9:- After flashing the ROM and Gapps .zip files on the phone successfully, reboot it by selecting reboot system now.
Your device may take some time to boot for the first time after the installation. So be patient and wait for the process to be completed.
That’s All! You’ve successfully installed the Android 5.1.1 Xperia Z3 ROM on Galaxy S3.