In this guide, we will be discussing how to fix VPN not working on Android 12 issue. Android 12 is now the latest version of Android OS from Google and is now available for Google Pixel users. Android 12 is known to be rich with much more features than Android 11 and brings in a lot of improvements over the older, Android 11.
But there are some issues that users face while using Android 12, one of which is VPN not working on Android 12. This is quite unfortunate as users face difficulty in carrying out their task. If you also face the same problem, then continue reading out troubleshooting guide.
VPN stands for virtual private network. The task of a VPN is to establish a secure connection between the user and world wide web. A user’s data is sent through an encrypted passageway across the public network. Throughout the process, the user’s IP address is kept hidden.
This way, users stay protected from data theft and online monitoring. While using VPN on Android 12, users face different issues. These include connection issues, slow connection speed and disconnections.
Fix VPN not working on Android 12 issue
This is not the first time that this issue has arose. Issues with VPN on Android 12 were also reported by users of the Android 12 Beta 4 build. But at that time, Google had addressed the issue and had provided the Android 12 Beta 4.1 as a patch fix.
But as we now mentioned, the issue has resurfaced as users of the stable build have also reported about experiencing issues with VPN on Android 12. In this guide below, we have shared some possible trouble shooting methods that could fix the issue.
1. CHECK IF VPN CONNECTION IS ENABLED
The first step to using a VPN is to enable it from the respected VPN app after selecting the region on your Android 12 device. You also need to make sure that you are connected to the internet through a Wi-fi connection or through mobile data. This is worth mentioning as users can sometimes be unaware of these minor things.
2. REMOVE APP DATA AND CACHE OF THE VPN APP
A possible fix for the VPN not working on Android 12 issue us to delete the cache and data of the VPN app. This is because corrupted app data or cache could very well be the reason behind the problem. To do so l, you can follow the steps given below:
- First up, head over to the Settings app on your device and then head to the Apps and Notifications section.
- Now you need to tap on the See all apps option to see all of the applications installed on your device.
- Now search for the VPN app that you use, from the list.
- Select the app once you locate it and then tap on Storage and cache.
- Delete cache data for the app by tapping on Delete cache.
- After that, tap on Clear storage and then tap on Ok. This will remove the app data from your phone.
- Once done, tap on Force stop. Confirm the process if the device asks you to.
- Now open the VPN app again and check if it works now.
3. UPDATE YOUR VPN APP
It may be possible that there is a pending update for your VPN app. Updating the application might fix a some bugs and issues with the app and might bring improvements. So it would be wise to check for updates and update the app if one is available. To do so, follow the steps given:
- Firstly, proceed to the Google Play Store app and then tap on the three dots icon appearing on the top right of the interface.
- Now from the options that appear tap on My apps and games, if an update is available is for your VPN app, you will be able to find your app there.
- After that, tap on the update option that you see next to the VPN app. This way, the app will automatically be updated.
- After the update is completed, use the VPN app again and check if the VPN not working on Android 12 issue is resolved or not.
4. REINSTALL THE VPN APPLICATION
If the above mentioned methods do not fix the issue for you, then you should try uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. The steps below guide you on how to do so:
- Tap on hold the app icon for the VPN on your device’s home screen or app drawer.
- Then tap on the Uninstall option that appears and remove the app by confirming your action.
- Now head over to the Google Play store and install the VPN app again.
Alternatively, you can also uninstall and reinstall the app by these steps below:
- Head over to the Google Play store and search for your VPN app in the search bar.
- Open the installation page for the VPN app and then tap on uninstall.
- Once done, tap on the install option to reinstall the VPN application on your device.
5. TURN OFF SMART SWITCH BETWEEN WI-FI AND MOBILE DATA
The smart switch between Wi-fi and mobile data is a feature provided by some Android devices. When either one of the network connections on a device are slow or are not working properly, this feature quickly switches the network connection so that there is no interruption in the connectivity.
But it may be possible that this feature causes some problems with VPN connections, so it would be smart to switch this feature off. You can do this by following the steps below:
- Open up the Settings app on your device and then select the Network menu.
- Now tap on Wi-fi > Tap on the three dots option > And then tap on Wi-fi+ or Smart switch.
- Now you need to turn off this feature by turning off the toggle next to the Wi-fi+ or Smart switch option.
- Now restart your device and check if the VPN is working properly or not.
6. RESET NETWORK SETTINGS
Another possible fix to the VPN not working on Android 12 problem could be resetting the network settings on your Android 12 device. Some issues with the network settings could mean that VPN activity is compromised. Reset network settings by following the steps given below:
- Open the Settings app on your device and then tap on the System section.
- Now tap on the Reset button and then select the Reset network settings option.
- Confirm your choice by tapping on the Reset Network Settings option in the warning that you get.
- Now wait until the process completes.
- Reboot your device before using the VPN again and then check if it works or not.
7. UNINSTALL EXTRA VPN APPS FROM YOUR DEVICE
One way to fix the VPN not working on Android 12 issue is to make sure that there is only one VPN app on your Android 12 device. Having more than one VPN application on your device can cause connectivity problems and can be the reason behind the VPN not working on Android 12 issue.
So uninstall any extra VPN application that you have on your device and use only one app. Further, you also need to delete the user profiles of the apps that you have uninstalled.
8. CHECK VPN COMPATIBILITY WITH BROWSER
It may be possible that the VPN app is not compatible for the browser on your phone that you use. So you should check whether the VPN app that you use is compatible for the browser that you use on your device.
Even though most of the popular browsers come with compatibility for VPN apps, there might be some browsers or browser versions who do not. So one way around this could be to keep your browser app updated as well.
9. DO NOT USE BATTERY SAVER
Using the VPN app while using your battery saver could be a bad decision as well. The battery saver feature lowers device performance and restricts app operations to minimize battery usage. So try using your VPN app without the battery saver and the VPN not working on Android 12 issue might be fixed. You can easily turn your battery saver on or off by sliding down from the top of your screen and using the quick settings options.
10. TURN OFF BATTERY OPTIMIZATION FOR THE VPN APP
Another possible fix for the VPN not working on Android 12 issue could be to disable battery optimization for the VPN application that you use. In order to do that, follow the steps below:
- Proceed to Settings and then go to Battery.
- Now select the Battery usage option and then scroll down to the list of installed apps. From the list, select your VPN app.
- From there, turn off battery optimization for the VPN app.
- Further, disable the Auto launch and Run in the background option as well.
11. CHECK VPN COMPATIBILITY WITH WI-FI ROUTER
Last but not the least is that the Wi-Fi router you are connected to is not compatible for VPNs. Some examples of this are public connections such as in a schools, colleges and offices which have restricted access to VPN services. But this could also happen with private networks so in that case you should contact your internet service provider (ISP).
So that was it from our side on how to fix VPN not working on Android 12. We hope that you found this guide helpful. Let us know what you think in the comment section below.