JOdin3 is a tool you can use on your Mac OS X to flash Samsung Firmware or to root your Samsung phones and tablets. This tool can also be utilized to flash a custom firmware on your Samsung devices. Here in this article, we will guide you on how to download JOdin3 and install it on your Mac.
Whenever you want to work with Samsung firmware or want to flash stock ROM on your Samsung device, you will find that Odin is the best tool for that task. This tool is a traditional tool for Samsung, but the problem faced by users is that it was only compatible with Windows PC. Now here, JOdin comes in to assist Mac users. The JOdin3 tool can be used as an alternative to the Odin flash tool which you can use on Mac OS and Linux systems.
The JOdin3 tool can be used to flash ROMs, system packages, root ZIP files, and custom recovery files. Apart from that, it can also be used to flash modem files on Samsung Galaxy phones. The original Odin Flash tool was only built with compatibility for Windows PC and it was not suitable for other platforms, i.e. Mac OS and Linux. But now, an alternative tool to Odin has been developed which can be used on Mac OS and Linux to flash stock ROM on Samsung devices, JOdin. This is a direct port of the version of Odin for Windows and it is now compatible on all three platforms – Windows, Mac, and Linux. Follow the given guide to download JOdin3.
JOdin3: The Odin for Mac OS X
Odin is the ideal tool that you will need if you ever want to flash or install a system package on your Samsung Galaxy device. It is free of cost and does not take up much space in your computer’s memory. Even though the Odin Flash tool is the best tool for installing and flashing stock firmware, it is only compatible with Windows.
JOdin3 likes the version of Odin for Mac. If you do not have a Windows PC with and you need to flash stock firmware or Custom ROMs on your Samsung device, JOdin3 is the best available tool for you. It works for any Samsung phone that you want to flash the firmware on. JOdin3 tool will work with every Samsung device and you can use it on your Mac to flash the firmware on your Samsung phone.
If you want to download the Odin Flash Tool, you can easily get it from here: Download Samsung Odin Flash tool
JOdin3 – Features
Here, we have listed the features that you will find on the JOdin3 tool:
- It is based on the CASUAL-X project and Heimdall tool
- It automatically obtains PIT file with only a single device reboot
- The appropriate USB drivers are installed automatically on Windows
- It automatically installs Heimdall on Mac OS
- It also provides in-app instructions at each step for easy use and flashing
- It supports .TAR or .TAR.MD5 files to flash on the device
Why use JOdin3?
In the situation when your device is soft bricked and you are unable to find a solution, the JOdin3 tool proves very handy. Using the tool, you can restore your device to the original Samsung stock firmware and if you even want to unroot your device, you can get it done by just flashing the stock firmware.
Even though the JOdin3 tool is very similar to the Odin Flash tool, unlike Odin, it is not an official flashing software. Nevertheless, it works perfectly fine if you want to install or flash any stock ROM and as long as you flash official firmware, it will not void the warranty of your Samsung device.
JOdin3 – Requirements
Every software asks for some requirements. Similarly, you should make sure of some necessities before proceeding to download the JOdin3 tool:
- You need to have Java Environment downloaded and installed on your PC.
- You also need to make sure that you have the appropriate USB drivers installed on your Windows PC. If not, they will be automatically installed by Heimdall.
- You also need to have Heimdall downloaded and installed.
- Download Heimdall for Windows
- Download Heimdall for Mac OS
- Download Heimdall for Linux
- You also need to make sure that Samsung KIES / Smart Sync is uninstalled from your computer
Below, we have provided the link to download JOdin3. The source of this tool has stopped supporting the development of this tool so there is no official link available.
Download JOdin3 :- JOdin3.zip (Size: 13.41 MB)
NOTE: Before proceeding to download JOdin3 tool, it is necessary that you download Heimdall from the download links provided above in the requirements section.
How to Install JOdin3 on Mac OS X
We have listed down the method of installing JOdin3 for your convenience. The method has been been made easier for you as we have broken it down into simple steps:
- First, you are required to install Java on your Mac OS beforehand from the link provided to you above.
- Then you will need to download and install Heimdall as mentioned earlier. You can get the download from the link provided to you above. Then you need to follow the instructions provided on the screen of the program.
- It would be better to uninstall Samsung KIES or Samsung Smart switch if you have them on your device. This is to make sure that they do not interfere with JOdin3 in any way.
- Then you need to extract the JOdin3.zip file from the file you downloaded from above. You do not need to save the file in any particular location on your computer.
- After that, open the JOdin3CASUAL-r1017-dist.jar file from the folder you just extracted.
- Once you have got the program running, you will see the screen as shown below.
If you have followed the above-mentioned steps properly, you will be able to see this screen.
How to Use JOdin3 on Mac OS X
The way of using JOdin3 is very similar to how you use the Samsung Odin flash tool. If you have not used the Samsung Odin tool, then do not worry. We have provided you a step by step guide on how to flash firmware using JOdin3.
Please keep in mind that you should follow all these steps very carefully. Incorrect following of the procedure may result in your phone being bricked.
Here is how you can flash firmware using JOdin3:
- First of all, you need to download the required firmware or recovery or ROM in .TAR format.
- Then you need to enable the USB debugging option on your Samsung phone. You can do this by going to Settings> Developer options on your phone to enable USB debugging if you have already enabled the option on your phone before. You can see the step by step method from here: How to enable USB debugging mode on Android devices.
- After that, you have to connect your Samsung Galaxy phone or tablet to your Mac using a USB cable.
- Then open the JOdin3 tool and select the .TAR file you downloaded earlier by double-clicking on it.
- If you see a green connected line under ID:COM, that means that everything has been done correctly.
- Next, you should click on the PDA button and select the .TAR file that you downloaded earlier to flash.
- Now you need to boot your Samsung device into download mode. To do that, you need to power off your device at first. Then you need to press the volume down button and the Bixby buttons at the same time. You also need to make sure that the auto-reboot option is enabled in JOdin on your MAC.
- Then you need to click on the start button to proceed with the process.
- Next, you are required to have the PIT file of your phone along with you. Click on Yes and proceed.
- Here, you need to boot your phone into download mode once again, as you did in step 8. This time, JOdin will fetch your phone’s PIT file by itself.
- As soon as the process is completed, you will get a message to notify you. You need to click on OK.
- To start the installation process, click on the start button once more.
- A PASS message inside the JOdin tool will tell you that all went well. If there is a FAILED message, it means that something was wrong.
These were the easy steps to download JOdin3 and install it on Mac and Windows. You will have the JOdin3 tool working on your MAC perfectly if you followed our steps correctly. We hope that you were able to flash files on your Samsung device easily and faced no difficulty using the JOdin3 tool. If you did run into any difficulty, do let us know in the comment section.